Old 21-05-2009, 10:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Shrub Recommendations Please

Frank Booth Snr writes
On 20 May, 23:24, K wrote:
Frank Booth Snr writes

On 20 May, 15:26, "TheScullster" wrote:
Hi all

Looking to improve garden screening with perimeter shrubs.
These will be to the north of a copper beach (almost under its canopy)
against a fence.
So need evergreen, shade tolerant, clay/chalk tolerant, dry(ish)tolerant.
Prefer free standing rather than climbing.
Height required 2.5 - 3m, preferably able to be kept to 1m deep x 2m wide
without too much effort.
Location is east yorkshire at top of hill but not too exposed.
Like scented stuff.

Hardly any shrub will thrive in dense shade. But Viburnum Bodnantense
Dawn will do well in partial shade and has sweet smelling blooms in
winter. It will eventually reach 10' in height. It's a superb shrub.

http://tinyurl.com/qocr3s

It's not evergreen, though. Though that's part of its attraction -
flowers are very visible on bare stems before the leaves appear

Well I did recommend "sacrificing the evergreen bit"

Yes, but that was in your *other* post which I didn't read until I'd
replied to your first one ;-)

Did you know you'd replied twice?
--
Kay