Old 21-05-2009, 07:36 PM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScullster View Post
Hi all

Looking to improve garden screening with perimeter shrubs.
These will be to the north of a copper beach (almost under its canopy)
against a fence.
So need evergreen, shade tolerant, clay/chalk tolerant, dry(ish)tolerant.
Prefer free standing rather than climbing.
Height required 2.5 - 3m, preferably able to be kept to 1m deep x 2m wide
without too much effort.
Location is east yorkshire at top of hill but not too exposed.
Like scented stuff.
Stuff like Eleagnus x ebbingei and Euonymus fortunei will grow practically anywhere. Holly will also grow in the understorey. Won't grow to 3m, but a Daphne odora likes dryish partial shade, is lime tolerant, and is very, very scented. You could mix it in with the others. I also have a Sarcococca of some type thriving in a similar situation.

When I have to plant with a thirsty tree in the vicinity, sometimes I dig a big hole and install a waterproof barrier around the hole, and refill, so that the protected plant gets to keep more of the water that falls on it to itself.