Old 22-05-2009, 01:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Poppy flowers only occasionaly

In article ,
says...

Hi - I have a poppy which I bought 5 years ago - Papaver orientale
'Karina'.

It flowered the first year. SInce then it has not flowered. Last year I
decided to cut it back hard at the end of the summer. It has come up
this year with three buds.

Question is - how best to look after it. How to encourage it to flower
again?

Soil is slightly clay, neutral/acid. Southerly aspect. Not overly
crowded.

ANy advice appreciated.

--
wind'n'stone

I think that the flower you had the first year was part of the bit used
to propagate the plant, the following year it was making its root system
and generally growing, now its settled in it will flower every year
whether you do anything or not, poppies are undemanding plants.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk