Old 22-05-2009, 07:19 PM posted to rec.gardens
Frank Frank is offline

Default What is the best mower for a homeowner??

brooklyn1 wrote:
"Frank" wrote in message
On May 21, 5:08 pm, "Pete E. Kruzer" wrote:
A self propelled, mulching/bagging/throwing clippings. I have a seven
year old Toro, it's OK, but it doesn't handle thick grass too well.
The underside of the deck cakes very easily.
Any recommendations?

I had an old front wheel drive Toro that kept breaking down. Bought a
rear wheel drive Lawnboy which I like better but grass caking is still
a problem. My son was borrowing it when he first moved in his house
and now he has a Honda, which he says beats Lawnboy hands down.

I believe Toro and Lawnboy are now the same company which I assume
will combine the worse of both names in new mowers in order to save
money

No mystery, all rotary blade mowers clog when mowing overly tall and/or wet
grass. Always wait for grass to dry, and if too tall raise the deck for the
first pass, then make a second lower pass. Mowing has nothing whatsoever to
do with mower brand (if red is your favorite color buy Toro, if green buy a
Lawnboy, etc.), it's all about common sense.

I'm sure you're right and I don't know how son's Honda fares on wet
grass. In my experience, grass should be absolutely dry before cutting
but often this is not possible or convenient.

My preference is still for rear wheel drive.