Old 22-05-2009, 08:07 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default What is the best mower for a homeowner??

"Frank" wrote in message
brooklyn1 wrote:
"Frank" wrote in message
On May 21, 5:08 pm, "Pete E. Kruzer" wrote:
A self propelled, mulching/bagging/throwing clippings. I have a seven
year old Toro, it's OK, but it doesn't handle thick grass too well.
The underside of the deck cakes very easily.
Any recommendations?

I had an old front wheel drive Toro that kept breaking down. Bought a
rear wheel drive Lawnboy which I like better but grass caking is still
a problem. My son was borrowing it when he first moved in his house
and now he has a Honda, which he says beats Lawnboy hands down.

I believe Toro and Lawnboy are now the same company which I assume
will combine the worse of both names in new mowers in order to save
money

===========

No mystery, all rotary blade mowers clog when mowing overly tall and/or
wet grass. Always wait for grass to dry, and if too tall raise the deck
for the first pass, then make a second lower pass. Mowing has nothing
whatsoever to do with mower brand (if red is your favorite color buy
Toro, if green buy a Lawnboy, etc.), it's all about common sense.

I'm sure you're right and I don't know how son's Honda fares on wet grass.
In my experience, grass should be absolutely dry before cutting but often
this is not possible or convenient.

No mower does well with wet grass. Honda makes a quality machine but it
wont mow better than any other brand with wet grass. Mostly what one pays a
higher price for is longiviety of the machine, the power of it's motor, and
quality/availability of service.

My preference is still for rear wheel drive.

I wouldn't buy any self propelled push mower... if the area is so large that
it needs to be power propelled I'd opt for a riding mower. None of the self
propelled mechanisms last very long, they arre continuously troublesome,
they rob too much cutting power, and they make the mower cumbersome and
heavy. If I have to run a mower over so much area that I think I need self
propelled then I'd rather ride than walk.