Old 22-05-2009, 11:03 PM
beccabunga beccabunga is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Have prepared a large area for ornamental planting and have discovered
that in one square yard water seeps to the surface (there's rock about
6" beneath). I was going to cover this particular square yard with a
shallow-rooted groundcover but realize now that it needs to be something
that will thrive on having its roots VERY WET almost all the time.

Can anyone recommend a shallow-rooted evergreen groundcover that thrives
in very wet soil AND is very hardy?

It's a fairly shady position in summer, with a young rhododendron close
by. For most of the year the climate here is very cold. Only the
toughest ornamentals seem to survive.

The only thing I can think of is periwinkle, but am not sure it likes it
roots being continually wet.

Thanks.

Eddy.
There are some very attractive variegated sedges which will stand being wet. Alternatively, how about Siberian Iris?