Old 23-05-2009, 07:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_7_] Billy[_7_] is offline

Default Heirloom Apples

In article ,
sherwin dubren wrote:

Billy wrote:

The point of this thread, which was started by Steve Peek was,
"If you have any interest in heirloom apples (you know, the ugly ones
that
taste unbelievably good) you have to check out:

It may have started with a tour of heirloom apples, but he later
threw in the fact that he never sprays his apples.

http://www.bighorsecreekfarm.com/ . They have over 300 varieties. I'm
gonna
need more land."
Steve

You know ugly, Doo, I'm sure. I would guess that Steve was referring to
unsprayed apples, that may not be cosmetically perfect.
You were the one who veered into biocides to make your apples
"Photoshop ready". Steve was just luxuriating in the abundance of apple
varieties.

I am not speaking about surface damage. If you look at the
following web site, you will see some pictures of apple maggot
damaged fruit:
http://gardening.wsu.edu/library/tree002/tree002.htm

This gardening site plainly states the following:
"Fruit damaged by apple maggots eventually becomes soft and
rotten, and cannot be eaten"

I would not even use these attacked apples for cider, unless you
need a protein fix.

Why don't you have another steaming cup of Imidan to settle your nerves?

That's not even funny.

Billygoat,

You obviously know nothing about fruit growing, so why not stick to
one of your specialties, like carrots.

Yoo probably think that all apples taste the same and probably fool
yourself into thinking Gallo wine is as tasty as a French Chardoney.
I am not trying to be snobish here, but pointing out that I take
extra pains to grow finer apples, and that involves chemical
spraying. As I have mentioned many times, I have the advantage of
controlling the spray management to keep the dangers negligible.
You, on the other hand, put out lots of unsubstanciated data of how
poisonous our fruits and vegitables are. The net effect of this is
to unnecessarily scare people into not eating foods which will have
a net effect of making them more healthy. Even store bought fruit
and vegitables can be made safer by proper washing or peeling. You
probably don't realize that many foods in the market marked as
Organic are not necessarily free of chemicals. I have heard of
organic farmers approaching their neighbors when their crops are
about to be ruined, asking for advice on how to spray with chemicals
to save their livelihood. Also consider that some of the organic
sprays contain nature's most toxic chemicals. It's a self-defense
mechanism plants have. Rotenone, for example can be toxic. So
don't lecture me about your philosophy of saving the planet. I
think you are doing more harm than good in your warnings.

Sherwin

The problem is Doo, you don't think. The choice is eat chemicals or
don't eat chemicals. No one knows what the chemicals do, especially in
combination, so, which is it, door number one, or door number two?
There are reports saying it is OK, and there are reports that it is
poison. What is your pick?
--

- Billy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En2TzBE0lp4