Old 24-02-2003, 02:27 PM
Jim Carter

Default when to plant?

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 13:11:37 GMT, (Frogleg) wrote in
rec.gardens.edible:

Don't know exact temperature figures, but a friend in Reno, NV has
similar conditions -- frost late and early, and a good dose of high
heat in the summertime. She keeps starting tomato plants and bringing
in green fruit just before the first snow flies. You may want to look
into greenhouse arrangements of one sort or another. In a particularly
cold spring, I kept tomato plants (putting into bigger and bigger
containers) 'inside' 'til they were 2' tall. If the growing season had
only been 2 weeks, they would have produced tomatoes. :-)

I don't how pronounced the effect is here, but some very long season tomatoes
can be grown in Alaska and the Yukon! The length of the days tends to
"lengthen" the growing season, I guess. Have a look at

http://www.tropicals-north.yk.ca/titanic.htm

for your first laugh of the gardening season.
--
Spelling and grammatical errors are deliberate
to catch copyright violators. ©¿©¬