Old 23-05-2009, 05:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Roundup questions

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
brooklyn1 wrote:

I don't believe SteveB has a 2 acre garden, in fact I don't believe he
has any size garden or has ever had any garden, and probably once he
wakes up from his beer fogged trailer trash dream and realizes what
gardening is about he will never have a garden... no one who has a 2 acre
garden (that's a farm, folks) would ever ask such questions about killing
grass and weeds with Roundup defolient... a person could feed a family of
four with veggies from the market for two years for the price of enough
Roundup to treat 2 acres. A person can easily feed a family of four (and
two other families of four) veggies all year from a 1/16 acre garden and
not pay a cent for any chemicals whatsoever... Steve couldn't afford to
treat a 2 acre garden with H2O. When I read of people with their claims
of 4 1/2 acre and 2 acre gardens (none have ever posted a photo) I
seriously wonder if folks here have any concept of what's an acre of
garden.

He never said he had a 2 acre garden. He said he has 2+ acres and uses
Roundup, and he's getting ready to put in a garden.

He certainly did refer to his 2 acre garden... why would someone mention 2
acres in reference to a garden when they are putting in say a 10' X 10'
plot?!?!? Actually he did say he already has a garden, a "weedy" garden
_"My garden is weedy. I'm tilling it and preparing it to plant. Yeah,
yeah, yeah, I waited a long time, I know."_ He led folks to believe he has
a 2 acre garden that is all weedy and he was asking if it was okay to get
rid of the weeds in his garden with Roundup... it is quite clear that his
intent was to lead folks to believe he has a weedy 2 acre garden. Had he
truly wanted suggestion about how to weed his garden (which many offered) an
honest person would have said right from the gitgo what size area (he said 2
acres), otherwise no one could offer help except some generalizations and
mostly wild speculation. Just like the last person who boasted that she
had a 4 1/2 acre garden but when I asked her to post pictures of her garden
she didn't deny it but instead posted pictures of all sorts of things but
none of any garden (probably a neighbor's property). People on usenet are
smarmy, they make all sorts of wildly exaggerated claims and tell down right
lies... very few are who they say they are. Many of the pictures folks post
are not of their garden and/or not of anything they themselves did. It's
easy to post a picture of someone elses garden, or some landscaper was paid
to do and then claim they did it, and cameras are very portable so anyone
can take a shot of a garden across town, and it's very easy to lift an image
off the net... when someone posts a pictures of fully cropped flowers I
wonder where they stole those images.