Old 23-05-2009, 09:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Bill who putters Bill who putters is offline

Default Heirloom Apples

In article
. easynews.com,
Steve wrote:

On Sat, 23 May 2009 12:58:18 -0500, sherwin dubren
wrote:

I can recommend a book to you and anyone else interested in a balanced
view of the use of pesticides in today's world. It is written by
Joe schwarcz, Phd, who is the director of the McGill University's
office for Science and Society. He has written many books on health
and this one is called 'An Apple a Day'. I found the entire book to
be of great interest, but you should look specifically at the
chapter on pesticides.

As you posted to "anyone else interested in a balanced
view of the use of pesticides in today's world" I think it's OK to
jump in here. I will read his book if you will agree to read the
following:

Who funds Scwarcz?

A consortium of biotechnology companies, under the umbrella of
the Council for Biotechnology Information.

From the CBI website:

http://www.whybiotech.com/index.asp?id=about
Welcome to whybiotech.comŽ.

The Council for Biotechnology Information communicates science-based
information about the benefits and safety of agricultural and food
biotechnology. Its members are the leading biotechnology companies and
trade associations.

Member Companies and Associations
http://www.whybiotech.com/index.asp?id=982

Monsanto
BASF
Bayer
Biotechnology Industry Organization
CropLife America
Dow
DuPont
Syngenta

That certainly seems to be a bit of conflict of interest, doesn't it?

Not to worry Steve. I am sure those folks understand the complexities
of the world we live in and really really want to provide us with a
secure food machine just as long as they (*******s) control it.

Bill who wonders why wisdom is not appreciated but knowledge is?

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Not all who wander are lost.
- J.R.R. Tolkien (1892-1973)