Old 23-05-2009, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Broad beans, ants and greenfly etc.

In message , "Robert
(Plymouth)" writes

"June Hughes" wrote in message
I have broad bean plants which have many flowers and are about 4 feet
tall. This afternoon, I noticed some 1/4 inch slits in the lower
leaves and on closer inspection, spotted several ants hurrying up and
down the stems of several of the plants. I killed them but know that
is not the end of the matter. I haven't seen any greenfly yet but
suspect that may be what the ants are up to, unless someone here knows
different. I can deal very well with greenfly on flowering plants
like my jasmine by brushing a finger and thumb along the tainted stem
but don't know what to do about my beans and the reason for the slits
is a mystery to me. Can anyone help me please? Many thanks in advance.
-- June Hughes

No idea what caused the slits you speak of but I would not kill the
ants under any circumstances. They do no harm whatsoever and can be
seen 'milking' the aphids were you to have any.

Supposedly ants dispose of aphid predators, allowing aphid infestations
to be more severe. Most people would see that as harm.

Robert
www.rraa.moonfruit.com
Feed the soil, save the planet

--