Old 23-05-2009, 09:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
Dioclese Dioclese is offline

Default Roundup questions

"SteveB" wrote in message
My garden is weedy. I'm tilling it and preparing it to plant. Yeah,
yeah, yeah, I waited a long time, I know.

I have what seems to be Bermuda grass or a variant. Stuff that has a
spreading root system. Hundreds of other garden variety weeds. I till
and till, and rake out the weeds and roots, but I know I won't get them
all.

I use Roundup on my 2+ acre spread. I have heard that it only kills what
it comes in contact with, and doesn't work once it hits the soil. I'd
like to know if it is safe to use in the garden on the weedy areas, or
will it stay in there after I plant. Other suggestions for weed control
that is plant friendly would be appreciated.

Steve

Think of Bermuda grass along the same lines as the movie "Terminator". It
never, ever stops. You can't ever kill it entirely. It always comes back
with a vengeance.

Roundup is only temporary. Does not affect this type of grass's root
system. Overlays such as plywood, newspaper and the like, it just either
penetrates it or goes around to the perimeter. Just my personal
experiences.

Even the newsgroup website link pointer fanatic is confused here.
--
Dave