Old 24-05-2009, 06:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
SteveB[_11_] SteveB[_11_] is offline

Default Roundup questions

"Suzanne D." wrote in message

"zxcvbob" wrote in message

I had a 1/4 acre garden when I lived in Texas. (and I used RoundUp to
spot treat the Bermudagrass that kept sneaking in.) It was a huge garden
(IMHO) and was pretty much unmanageable until I discovered drip
irrigation.

Drip irrigation is the best invention, EVER. Because of it, I get to
plant my entire front yard in corn, tomatoes, and cucumbers, and only have
to work about ten minutes a day on it.
--S.

I've had gardens for several years when I lived in Louisiana. My wife is a
type A personality. So, when it come time to do the garden, she's out
there, tilling, and making rows that are on a slant, following the slant of
the property. The water runs right through her ditches, and very little
stops for the plants. Couldn't or wouldn't take in the idea that even rice
paddies are made to stairstep down the mountainsides. I have taken the
second half of the garden, and am about through tilling it now and removing
weeds. But I am making my rows at ninety degrees to hers, and using black
flex pipe with drip irrigation.

So, we'll see whose does the best. Outside the garden, we have about a
dozen trees that have bubblers and moats. Tomorrow, I will put wire around
the entrances for rabbits, and plant melons in the moats where they will be
automatically watered.

Might even put a picture up on flickr for brooklyn1.

or not.

Steve