Old 24-05-2009, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
John T[_2_] John T[_2_] is offline

Default Leek Question

"Angela" wrote in message

"mogga" wrote in message
m in.

| So why do you trim the roots? And how much?

I'm interested in the answer to this too. Can I add a question to this -
how far apart should they be planted? I have a raised bed that's long and
thin 2m x 0.5m, how many do you think I'll be able to get in?

Angela

How far apart depends on how big they are going to grow. This is a function
of the growing conditions and how big you want them or are going to leave
them in!

In a bed:
Six inches apart is normal for most leeks, you can put them closer, or
spread them out to a foot apart if the soil is good enough and you want them
to mature fairly big.
So ou would get, say three rows down your bed, and twelve or fourteen down
its length making about three dozen leeks of normal size.

Sounds tasty!
John