Old 24-05-2009, 07:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
David E. Ross David E. Ross is offline

Default Roundup questions

On 5/23/2009 10:11 PM, SteveB wrote:
"brooklyn1" wrote in message
"zxcvbob" wrote in message
brooklyn1 wrote:

I don't believe SteveB has a 2 acre garden, in fact I don't believe he
has any size garden or has ever had any garden, and probably once he
wakes up from his beer fogged trailer trash dream and realizes what
gardening is about he will never have a garden... no one who has a 2
acre garden (that's a farm, folks) would ever ask such questions about
killing grass and weeds with Roundup defolient... a person could feed a
family of four with veggies from the market for two years for the price
of enough Roundup to treat 2 acres. A person can easily feed a family
of four (and two other families of four) veggies all year from a 1/16
acre garden and not pay a cent for any chemicals whatsoever... Steve
couldn't afford to treat a 2 acre garden with H2O. When I read of
people with their claims of 4 1/2 acre and 2 acre gardens (none have
ever posted a photo) I seriously wonder if folks here have any concept
of what's an acre of garden.

He never said he had a 2 acre garden. He said he has 2+ acres and uses
Roundup, and he's getting ready to put in a garden.

He certainly did refer to his 2 acre garden... why would someone mention 2
acres in reference to a garden when they are putting in say a 10' X 10'
plot?!?!? Actually he did say he already has a garden, a "weedy" garden
_"My garden is weedy. I'm tilling it and preparing it to plant. Yeah,
yeah, yeah, I waited a long time, I know."_ He led folks to believe he
has a 2 acre garden that is all weedy and he was asking if it was okay to
get rid of the weeds in his garden with Roundup... it is quite clear that
his intent was to lead folks to believe he has a weedy 2 acre garden. Had
he truly wanted suggestion about how to weed his garden (which many
offered) an honest person would have said right from the gitgo what size
area (he said 2 acres), otherwise no one could offer help except some
generalizations and mostly wild speculation. Just like the last person
who boasted that she had a 4 1/2 acre garden but when I asked her to post
pictures of her garden she didn't deny it but instead posted pictures of
all sorts of things but none of any garden (probably a neighbor's
property). People on usenet are smarmy, they make all sorts of wildly
exaggerated claims and tell down right lies... very few are who they say
they are. Many of the pictures folks post are not of their garden and/or
not of anything they themselves did. It's easy to post a picture of
someone elses garden, or some landscaper was paid to do and then claim
they did it, and cameras are very portable so anyone can take a shot of a
garden across town, and it's very easy to lift an image off the net...
when someone posts a pictures of fully cropped flowers I wonder where they
stole those images.

What have you been sniffing, Roundup? I own two acres, which I spray here
and there for weed control. I am starting a garden, and wanted to spray a
little in there to get ahead of the weeds.

Did you get it that time, Sparky?

Steve

Don't waste time and effort answering. There are a few flamers out
there who insist on always having the last word, replying to everything
but actually reading very little. Use news-reader filters. I do now,
and my blood pressure has returned to normal (about 120/65).

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean