Old 24-05-2009, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Poppies outside barn

On May 24, 12:12*pm, Martin wrote:
On Sun, 24 May 2009 03:58:10 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
This is Lottie very hot and bothered outside the rear garden; please
note, poppies; I have several sorts, again, which sort are these
particular ones as my neighbour keeps on asking questions I can't
answer? *Note the shrubbery was all grown from kernels and cuttings,
taken by me; *including the now full size Silver Birch,(plural) not
bad for someone who knows little about gardening, if I do say so
myself.

http://i43.tinypic.com/dotdkx.jpg

How did your silver birch reach full size so quickly? The one in a garden behind
our house is at least 30 years old and is still growing higher and higher and

Martin

The first one I put in was a spindle, about 12 years ago. I planted
all the rest from germinating the seeds in sand and a scant handful of
garden soil. Where they are planted, the land is not good, rocky
underneath and with seams of clay, not the clay of the UK but pottery
clay, almost white; sticky and totally no good for plants. Silver
Birch love it.

Judith