Old 24-05-2009, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
john royce john royce is offline

Default fire pits on your patio and newspaper paper compressors

"Anne Welsh Jackson" wrote in message
"john royce" wrote:

tesco are selling those 'fire pits' round bowl fireplaces that
you could have a small log fire on your patio.

then they sell for £19 a paper compressor (apparently you
make newspapers wet and then stuff them in and compress
them, then when they dry out, kind of solid; they burn like logs
of wood).

has anyone tried all this? the idea sounds great (who doesn't
like a bonfire, even a tiny one) but how does it work out in reality?
i'm thinking if it was really good, people would have been doing it
for years. i know these compressors came on to the market years ago.

Friends of mine liked the "green" aspect of turning their old papers
into "logs" but it didn't last long - the "logs" took forever to dry out,
since the paper had to be soaked to make it stick together.

I have two chimineas on the terraces at the top and bottom of my
garden. Being made of clay they heat up, and the heat disperses
slowly, like a storage heater. They also serve as barbecues...
AnneJ

Anne thanks. would you educate me? do you recomend these chimineas?

what do you put in them as fuel?

Is there a make or a retailer you would recommend? many thanks.