Old 25-05-2009, 04:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
Zootal[_4_] Zootal[_4_] is offline

Default Peach tree woes

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"brooklyn1" wrote:

"Zootal" wrote in message
Please look at these pics. This is a peach tree I planted 3 years ago.
Last year it had a touch of what appeared to be leaf curl, and the
damage
was minimal. This year, the tree appears to be all but dead:

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2009/...mages/DSCF5405
.JPG

Poor thing looks very neglected/abused, it's never been pruned... but for
sure someone hit it with a dose of defoliant of some sort, maybe a good
blast of over spray. Even if it lives it'll never give a decent crop.
Why
do foks plant in such unprotected places, on land that makes a junk yard
appear aesthetic, and then expect their plants to thrive let alone
live...
it's very likley been planted in contamintaed soil, I bet Super Fund
land.
That property looks absolutely disgusting.. it's best that poor tree dies
quick death. Do NOT plant anything else there, except you!

Sorry about that, apparently Shelly got off his leash. He hasn't been
well, you know. He's probably off to chew on a chair leg now.

I'm sure that what our sick little boy was trying to say is, "It looks
bad. Isn't there a nursery (Crescent City isn't it?) near you to help
with the diagnosis? How warm has it gotten there? What is the soil like
(wet, dry?). The tree next to it seems to be doing OK, what kind is it?
Have you given the tree a good side dose of aged manure? (Work in with a
rake.)
--

:-)

Winter was not especially cold - no hard freezes this year, the usual amount
of rain (meaning lots and lots of rain). Spring rains stopped early this
year, we have had two weeks of dry and sun, and no rain in the forecast.
This is the time of the year when the rains stop, usually within a week or
less, and the sun comes out to stay. Nights are in 50s, maybe dipping into
40s, daytime temp is 60s and 70s. A couple of upper 70s/lower 80 days, but
not too many. So, the soil has been quite wet but is now drying. I planted
40 tomatoes outside yesterday, and am seriously considering putting out
peppers and eggplants as the forecast is for sun and warm for at least the
next week.

The tree to the right of it in the pic is a cherry tree that seems to be
happy. All of my other peaches have a mild case of what appears to be peach
leaf curl, which isn't unusual this time of year, but none of them have ever
had it this bad. My apples hare happy, my pears grow like crazy here. And I
have a truck load of mushroom compost that I'm going to put down around all
of my trees this week.