Old 25-05-2009, 01:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default What to do with a tree stump

On Sun, 24 May 2009 14:15:37 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) "
wrote:

We have a very large old tree (2.5 foot diameter) that is dying. It
is in the middle of a 10 foot diameter flower bed with flowering bulbs
close to the tree and annuals planted around the outside edge. I do
not want to have the stump ground up after we take the tree down as
that would obliterate the flower bed. Does anyone have any ideas of
something we could do with the stump that would be decorative and
still allow us to enjoy both the spring flower bulbs and plant
annuals ?

If you don't remove the stump, it will be there for a very long time.
White oak will be there twice as long as pine. I have seen a lot of
ugly ivy-covered stumps, but some think it looks good.