Old 25-05-2009, 01:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Rose Bushes ?

On Sun, 24 May 2009 15:49:58 -0400, "James" no
wrote:

I am not much of a gardner at all, but at our remote mountain cabin, I have
had success with annuals, Rhododendrums, impatiens, marigolds, and the
like.

I have never tried to grow roses, because I have always read that they are
very care-intensive, and hard to grow. Not living here fulltime, I just
have never thought I could provide the care such as spraying for insects,
etc.

My son recently bought a used cottage house in the mountains. In his back
yard there is a big clump of a rose bush that must be 25 years old or more.
I don't think it has been trimmed in many, many years. It has real long,
wild branches, some of which go off horizontally for 10-12 feet. He bought
the house in the fall, at which time the wild, lanky bushes had no roses on
them. I told him that if it were mine I would cut the entire maze back
until it was 4 or 5 feet off the ground. He didn't heed my advice.

Well today I saw this bush-maze again. It is literally covered all over
with beautiful roses, and it has dozens of more buds getting ready to
produce !!

My main point.... this monstrosity has had **no care** in many years. I
am as sure as I can be that it has not been trimmed in over 10 years, and
it has not been sprayed for insects, etc in at least several years, because
the house was unoccupied for that long.

So, what are the chances that I could plant some rose bushes at my cabin,
and that they would survive with little or no care ? I am here quite a bit
in the summer, but not from week to week.

I know there are many species, etc of roses, but what would be your guess as
to what kind of roses these are ? (They are mostly pink in color). Is
there such a thing as a wild rose bush ?

Any comments or advice would be appreciated !!

James

To look their best roses require regular maintenance. I love roses,
but only have three and that is enough work for me. I had wild rose
bushes but removed them--they may look okay in a natural unkept
garden.