Old 25-05-2009, 01:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
phorbin phorbin is offline

Default Dr. Schwarcz replies

In article ,
says...

of the chemical companies, as well as his office, I sent him the
comments from this forum and he replied with the following:

Thanks for forwarding me that nonsense. Nobody funds me....except
McGill University . I do know where the CBI stuff comes from....a while
ago CBI funded some summer scholarships for McGill students, a couple of
whom ended up working in our office. That had nothing to do with
anything....certainly not with my book. These "organic" people are
paranoid and if a view doesn't fit into their "world view" they think
that some conspiracy is afoot. They generally have a very poor
scientific background and have no understanding of chemistry. They
could use a little oil for their mental machinery. Organic oil if they
so wish.
regards

Dr. Joe Schwarcz

Steve can take pot shots at Dr. Schwarcz to try and malign his knowledge
and connections, but he is only trying to divert people from
understanding what this well educated man has to say. He is well
recognized in the scientific community and well accepted by the public
who buy his books and watch his regular TV show up in Canada. Too bad
certain people have closed minds. Some may call that dogmatism but I
tend to think it is fanaticism.

ROTFL...

Ya know, the same can be said of you. Your adherence to a regime that is
either going to fail you or fail your successors isn't wise. It is
either pure lazines, selfishness, faith based or any combination of the
three.

Frankly, I see you and the other poisoners, and within the label I
include any agricultural or garden endeavour that cyclically uses *any*
kind of poison in a systematic and habitual way, as terminally short
sighted. You are engaged in a broadly based experiment in forced
evolution which will release the horseman of "famine".

In evolutionary terms, there is no long term up-side to the use of
pesticides and herbicides except to enrich the poisoners who are
cognizant enough of their product limitations to switch modalities and
continue hoovering up your money.

Of course, there is no long term up-side to us living in the numbers we
do, except to swarm.

Nothing you or Joe can say will prevent the codling moth from developing
resistance, as it already has in some areas. It -will- make its way to
your trees.

Eventually all pathways for toxic control will close and then the
pesticide dependant weakling species of plants will be decimated...