Old 25-05-2009, 03:47 PM
Phlox Phlox is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by julvr View Post
We have an apple tree in our back yard. One half flowers pink, and
the other half flowers white. It looks a bit odd as the pink side
flowers first. Someone told us that the tree is actually two
different species... I'm not sure how that's possible -- I didn't get
that far in biology. Has anyone seen somthing like this before?
Yes, it's quite normal, I've seen some with 3 varieties on the same tree.

It's done by grafting from the different varieties onto the host. Most apple trees are grafted onto a smaller host, to prevent them growing too large