Old 26-05-2009, 03:19 AM posted to rec.gardens
mleblanca mleblanca is offline

Default Peach tree woes

On May 24, 12:24 pm, "Zootal" wrote:
Please look at these pics. This is a peach tree I planted 3 years ago. Last
year it had a touch of what appeared to be leaf curl, and the damage was
minimal. This year, the tree appears to be all but dead:

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2009/...hTree/images/D...

Is there any reason to not just remove the tree now? Is it possible that it
can survive?

Zoo
It is definitely Peach Leaf Curl. Photo 3 shows the twisted,
deformed,
curled light colored leaves that look blistered. This was a bad year
for
PLC here in Butte county too. Things started off OK then we had a
late
rain which just aggravated the condition. My dwarf Babcock Peach has
had many infestations in its 23 years, and has survived so far.

Be sure to rake up all the foliage that falls on the ground, keep it
cleaned
up until its all fallen off. You can even remove some of it by hand
if you
wish. DO NOT compost it, get it into the trash bin and removed.
Broadcast and then water in Epsom Salts. (next year do this at the
time
its blooming) Then give it a good spreading of alfalfa pellets and
water them in.
Mulch the tree well. (again do this every spring)

I think the tree will recover, but it will take awhile. I don't think
much fruit
will develop, but Yes, I'd remove any that does.
Next Fall, rake up all leaves, and get rid of them completely.
Some peaches are more resistant to PLC than others. Do look for borer
holes,
since they are more likely to attack a weakened tree. If you find
holes, run a
wire down inside to kill any larva inside. Check every so often all
summer.

Good luck
Emilie
NorCal