Old 25-05-2009, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default fire pits on your patio and newspaper paper compressors

"Martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 25 May 2009 20:20:05 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 25 May 2009 00:54:29 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"john royce" wrote in message
tesco are selling those 'fire pits' round bowl fireplaces that you
could
have a small log fire on your patio.

then they sell for £19 a paper compressor (apparently you make
newspapers
wet and then stuff them in and compress them, then when they dry out,
kind
of solid; they burn like logs of wood).

has anyone tried all this? the idea sounds great (who doesn't like a
bonfire, even a tiny one) but how does it work out in reality? i'm
thinking if it was really good, people would have been doing it for
years.
i know these compressors came on to the market years ago.

I have a paper compressor that I got 20 odd years ago when I had my
woodburner.
I use it occasionally but it depends if you like ripping up newspapers
and
soaking them in buckets of water for two days then standing on the thing
make sure you get as much water as possible out of it.
Plus finding somewhere warm enough to dry it out for weeks. UK probably
doesn't have the climate for them.
Apart from that, the newspaper logs are quite good. They burn quite
well,
and fairly slowly. I always wish I had more of them.
If you could fix up some racks in a big greenhouse, I'd say go for it.

You could make the logs in the summer, when I am sure the air is dry
enough ...
occasionally.

do you think I haven't tried?

I wondered if you had. Maybe you need better ventilation in the place
where you
try to dry them.

Maybe we need better weather, then we can.

Tina