Old 25-05-2009, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kathy Kathy is offline

Default fire pits on your patio and newspaper paper compressors

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 24 May 2009 23:04:54 +0100, "Kathy" wrote:

"john royce" wrote in message
tesco are selling those 'fire pits' round bowl fireplaces that you
could
have a small log fire on your patio.

then they sell for £19 a paper compressor (apparently you make
newspapers
wet and then stuff them in and compress them, then when they dry out,
kind
of solid; they burn like logs of wood).

has anyone tried all this? the idea sounds great (who doesn't like a
bonfire, even a tiny one) but how does it work out in reality? i'm
thinking if it was really good, people would have been doing it for
years.
i know these compressors came on to the market years ago.

More years ago then I care to remember, while I was at Uni, some friends
and
I rented a place with open fires. It came equipped with a paper
compressor.
We found it worked really well once we got the hang of it. Adding a small
amount of washing up liquid to the water seemed to improve the "logs".

A cleaner burn?

They seemed to last longer. We were in north Wales, and dried them out in
the cellar at first, then took to drying them around the burner in the
kitchen.

--
Kathy

It's pointless to try and discuss ethics with a spider.