Old 26-05-2009, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kate Morgan Kate Morgan is offline

Default Nasty trees overlooking my garden?

A neighbour has some trees which are right up against the boundary and
they
are growing across my garden, how can I make him prune them so I do
not have
to suffer their presence?

Our neighbour complained about some of our trees and we told them that
they could cut back anything on their side that was bothering them, their
answer was that they didn't see why they should do it or indeed pay
someone to do it when they were our trees.They wanted us to cut back
hedges as well, the matter has not been resolved as yet.

kate

Don't you think they have a point, Kate? They didn't plant the trees or
hedge but both are impinging on their garden. They're not planted in
their garden but they belong to you and are giving your neighbour a
problem as a result of your ownership. If they were e.g. your dog, or
cat, or your children, wouldn't you expect to deal with the matter
yourself?
Perhaps you could offer to go into their garden and do the trimming,
taking away any debris? That way, nobody is out of pocket but honour is
satisfied. Honour, in this case, being good relations with your
neighbours. It will be much easier for you to keep those trees under
control once the initial cut is made, too! And is it worth falling out
with the people to whom you are closest? ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

With respect, but in my own defense I need to say that the hedge and trees
in question have been there for a very very long time, long before we bought
the property and long before our neighbours bought theirs. Our property is
16th cent. and we have seen Victorian pictures of the property and the same
hedges/trees were there then,it is made up of mixed planting full of
wildlife and serving a purpose, one of the purposes is to protect our
property and next doors from the wind that sweeps up the Bristol Channel.
I don't like to use age but as I am in my early 70`s I am not able to
cut/trim the growth - even if I wanted to - there are several other reasons
why I do not wish to do the work but I have no intention of getting petty.
None of you know the situation and I am surprised by the reaction to a few
lines in answer to another poster. We are in a rural area and all have big
garden`s and a bit of land, most of us have big hedges and trees and I do
not wish to fall out with our neighbours or any members of this newsgroup
whose friendship I value.

kate