Old 26-05-2009, 02:58 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
KC[_2_] KC[_2_] is offline

Default Dual-Species Tree??

On May 25, 9:47*am, Phlox wrote:
julvr;847064 Wrote:

We have an apple tree in our back yard. *One half flowers pink, and
the other half flowers white. *It looks a bit odd as the pink side
flowers first. *Someone told us that the tree is actually two
different species... *I'm not sure how that's possible -- I didn't get
that far in biology. *Has anyone seen somthing like this before?

Yes, it's quite normal, I've seen some with 3 varieties on the same
tree.

It's done by grafting from the different varieties onto the host. Most
apple trees are grafted onto a smaller host, to prevent them growing
too large

--
Phlox

5 in 1's are readily available, however are mostly a novelty and
produce much less fruit than a standard tree.

KC