Old 26-05-2009, 09:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Nasty trees overlooking my garden?

On 2009-05-25 23:47:19 +0100, Hugh Jampton said:

On Mon, 25 May 2009 23:11:46 +0100, Sacha wrote:

We have new neighbours. They stated to our ex neighbours (our friends) that
they have no intention of cutting the top of the long hedge between our
properties. We'll see :-) I'm quite happy to do my share - but not happy to
do it all !

So do you think you'd be setting yourself up for one of those classic
neighbour quarrels that just isn't worth the energy? If you're swiping
3' with the hedge cutter, would it be a terrible burden to swipe 5'?

Sacha - I've been doing exactly that for many years. I'm now in my mid 60's
and although reasonably fit, I don't really think I should be doing all the
work on my shared 250 yards of hedges.

No, I don't think you *should* be either but wonder what other solution
there is other than what I've suggested in my reply to Kate. Or do you
think that they will object to you cutting it at all? That they will
want to let it grow so as to be a nuisance to you?

I cut *all* the top of a hedge between me and a neighbour twice a year for
18 years. Hedge was 60 ft long, 7 ft tall and 6 ft wide. Massive job.

And then a new hedge appeared between that same neighbour and his
neighbour. 3 ft tall, 2 ft wide. My wonderful neighbour cut exactly *half*
of the top of it !!!

I'm getting old and have no intention of doing all the work for my
neighbours and their gardens :-)

Not fair, I agree but if they *won't* do it you are stuck with it,
possibly just because you've been generous with your time and effort
for years. Does the hedge belong to both of you or just to one
property. In a house I own the hedge is my responsibility so I have to
see that it gets cut on the top and on my house's side of it. Perhaps
you and Kate could both talk to Hedgeline?
http://freespace.virgin.net/clare.h/
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials