Old 26-05-2009, 10:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Nasty trees overlooking my garden?

On 2009-05-25 21:26:42 +0100, "Kate Morgan"
said:

A neighbour has some trees which are right up against the boundary and
they
are growing across my garden, how can I make him prune them so I do
not have
to suffer their presence?

Our neighbour complained about some of our trees and we told them that
they could cut back anything on their side that was bothering them, their
answer was that they didn't see why they should do it or indeed pay
someone to do it when they were our trees.They wanted us to cut back
hedges as well, the matter has not been resolved as yet.

kate

Don't you think they have a point, Kate? They didn't plant the trees or
hedge but both are impinging on their garden. They're not planted in
their garden but they belong to you and are giving your neighbour a
problem as a result of your ownership. If they were e.g. your dog, or
cat, or your children, wouldn't you expect to deal with the matter
yourself?

She has 'dealt with the matter' by reminding the neighbours that they are
entitled to trim growth which overhangs their land, if they wish to do so.
People buying properties with trees and/or hedges abutting their boundaries
ought to be aware they might face some effort and/or expense in managing
'their' side of them, regardless of who 'owns' them. The answer to the
neighbours' point that they didn't see why they should do it or pay someone
else to do it is that they are the ones who want the work done, and the OP
is under no obligation to do it.

The thing is that is not necessarily the case. AIUI, the law has
changed or is changing in that regard and people can be made to cut
offending hedges and be fined if they don't do so. I can't remember if
this affects trees, too but I read about this fairly recently. That's
why I've suggested having a look at Hedgeline which has a lot of detail
on this subject.
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials