Old 26-05-2009, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sally Thompson[_3_] Sally Thompson[_3_] is offline

Default Nasty trees overlooking my garden?

On Tue, 26 May 2009 10:01:20 +0100, Sacha wrote
(in article ):

On 2009-05-26 09:46:01 +0100, "BAC" said:

[re overhanging trees and hedges]
snip

She has 'dealt with the matter' by reminding the neighbours that they are
entitled to trim growth which overhangs their land, if they wish to do so.
People buying properties with trees and/or hedges abutting their boundaries
ought to be aware they might face some effort and/or expense in managing
'their' side of them, regardless of who 'owns' them. The answer to the
neighbours' point that they didn't see why they should do it or pay someone
else to do it is that they are the ones who want the work done, and the OP
is under no obligation to do it.

The thing is that is not necessarily the case. AIUI, the law has
changed or is changing in that regard and people can be made to cut
offending hedges and be fined if they don't do so. I can't remember if
this affects trees, too but I read about this fairly recently. That's
why I've suggested having a look at Hedgeline which has a lot of detail
on this subject.

I think you'll find that that only refers to the height of an /evergreen/
hedge, Sacha, and not to growth overhanging someone else's garden.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Posted through uk.rec.gardening