Old 26-05-2009, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default fire pits on your patio and newspaper paper compressors

In article ,
lid says...
tesco are selling those 'fire pits' round bowl fireplaces that you could
have a small log fire on your patio.

then they sell for £19 a paper compressor (apparently you make newspapers
wet and then stuff them in and compress them, then when they dry out, kind
of solid; they burn like logs of wood).

has anyone tried all this? the idea sounds great (who doesn't like a
bonfire, even a tiny one) but how does it work out in reality? i'm
thinking if it was really good, people would have been doing it for years..
i know these compressors came on to the market years ago.

Know nothing about the fire pits but we used to make the paper logs, but
to get any sort of meaningful quantity we had to use the entire green
house to dry them, they burn hot and clean but produce a lot of ash, we
also had to import a lot of newspaper. I wouldn't bother probably better
off stacking your hard prunings and using that
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk