Old 26-05-2009, 06:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
Billy[_7_] Billy[_7_] is offline

Default Roundup questions

In article ,
"Dioclese" NONE wrote:

"Suzanne D." wrote in message

"Dioclese" NONE wrote in message
Again, the original subject was Bermuda grass. Not your generic "weed".
If you don't get the vast majority of the roots out of the soil, you
might as well thrown handfuls of Bermuda grass seed.

On a similar subject, does anyone know how to make Bermuda grass GROW?
We've tried planting it in our front and back yards several times now
(having given up hope with less-aggressive grasses), and we STILL can't
get it to grow. We water it, and it grows okay, and then the sun shines
and kills it all, until there's nothing left but bare ground (not even
tufts of dead grass). People here are talking about how it is impossible
to get Bermuda grass to stop growing, but I wonder how much of a start it
needs to get to the point where it is impervious to everything!
--S.

I'd have to go along with Victoria's reply on chinch bugs. I've also
concluded by observation that ants attack grass root systems when extreme
drought conditions occur. At least that was my observation last summer on a
fire ant colony in the front yard that was basically hidden for a time.

Bermuda grass seed germinates just like any other seed. Needs alot of
moisture for a time for that to occur. If you insist on a Bermuda strain,
go with the Sahara variety that tolerates drought well.

I apologize for those who are using your post as rider for their ridicule.

Sniff, sniff. Do I smell burning martyr?
IIRC Steve was the OP on "Roundup questions".
--

- Billy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En2TzBE0lp4