Old 26-05-2009, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
alan.holmes alan.holmes is offline

Default Nasty trees overlooking my garden?

On 2009-05-26 16:14:15 +0100, "alan.holmes"
said:

On 2009-05-25 21:26:42 +0100, "Kate Morgan"
said:

A neighbour has some trees which are right up against the boundary
and they
are growing across my garden, how can I make him prune them so I do
not have
to suffer their presence?

Our neighbour complained about some of our trees and we told them that
they could cut back anything on their side that was bothering them,
their answer was that they didn't see why they should do it or indeed
pay someone to do it when they were our trees.They wanted us to cut
back
hedges as well, the matter has not been resolved as yet.

kate

Don't you think they have a point, Kate? They didn't plant the trees
or
hedge but both are impinging on their garden. They're not planted in
their garden but they belong to you and are giving your neighbour a
problem as a result of your ownership. If they were e.g. your dog, or
cat, or your children, wouldn't you expect to deal with the matter
yourself?

She has 'dealt with the matter' by reminding the neighbours that they
are
entitled to trim growth which overhangs their land, if they wish to do
so.
People buying properties with trees and/or hedges abutting their
boundaries ought to be aware they might face some effort and/or expense
in
managing 'their' side of them, regardless of who 'owns' them. The answer
to the neighbours' point that they didn't see why they should do it or
pay
someone else to do it is that they are the ones who want the work done,
and the OP is under no obligation to do it.

We had been living here about 30 years before the trees were planted!

Alan

It's all developed a bit since then, Alan. That reply is to someone who
has an old house which has had mature trees there for at least 100 years
or more.

I must learn to read postings properly.
I must learn to read postings properly.
I must learn to read postings properly.
I must learn to read postings properly.
I must learn to read postings properly.
I must learn to read postings properly.

The only problem is I will have forgotten this as soon as I turn round!(:-(

Alan