Old 15-04-2003, 01:23 AM
Folklore

Default Bio filtering without bio falls ?

I have a 300 gallon pond with no waterfall. I did install a skimmer.

http://www.pondsolutions.com/skimmers.htm

The skimmer simply pulls water in through the weir, filters through a
2" thick foam, and then pumps the water back into the opposite end of
the pond. As can be expected I still have alot of problems with algae
bloom throughout the summer (MN, so only about 6 months). I prefer
not to use chemicals any more than necessary, but find myself using
Poly-Clear about once a month.

Stats: 320 gallon pond, 500 gph pump running at about 400gph, 4
shebunkins (about 4" ea), a fair amount of plan material. Want to add
a couple more fish.

One thought I had is to bag up some lava and place it around the pump
(behind the filter) so that water will get pulled through and
hopefully bacteria will work on the algae.

1) Is this likely to work?

2) Any problems with the pump overheating or other potential problems?

3) Better solution?

Thanks,