Old 27-05-2009, 03:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_7_] Billy[_7_] is offline

Default Dr. Schwarcz replies

In article
. easynews.com,
Steve wrote:

On Tue, 26 May 2009 16:14:23 -0700, Billy
wrote:

So the good doctor responds.
----

Subject: Organic
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 16:58:24 -0400
From: "Joe Schwarcz, Dr."
To: "Bill Rose"

The email is indeed from me. I have attached a few pieces I have
written on organic agriculture which obviously express my views.

Stunning.
I expected push back, but the profound dismissal, the outright
disdain, of organic is remarkable even for one funded by the chemical
industry. The disinformation, (for example ignoring the advancement in
organic agriculture and instead suggesting that it's 100 years behind)
is truly amazing. Obviously he has never heard of a little company
named Earthbound.
In one article he states that organic foods are only "marginally" more
nutritious, in the next article he sites a 40% gain in antioxidants.
"Pesticides and nitrates from fertilizer enter ground water with
potential environmental and health consequences". Potential?!
Doesn't McGill have internet service? Hasn't he ever looked at the
Gulf of Mexico from above? Amazing.
I think he's "marginally" pro-agrochemical.

Yeah, I know, he didn't talk about the soil web of life and soil
erosion. He seemed happy to get his lycopene from tasteless, long
shelf-life price/benefit tomatoes, but we just got these papers and I'm
sure that we will have a lot of fun with them. In any event, they don't
address his dismissal of these "organic" people.

" Thanks for forwarding me that nonsense. Nobody funds me....except
McGill University . I do know where the CBI stuff comes from....a while
ago CBI funded some summer scholarships for McGill students, a couple of
whom ended up working in our office. That had nothing to do with
anything....certainly not with my book. These "organic" people are
paranoid and if a view doesn't fit into their "world view" they think
that some conspiracy is afoot. They generally have a very poor
scientific background and have no understanding of chemistry. They
could use a little oil for their mental machinery. Organic oil if they
so wish."
regards
Dr. Joe Schwarcz

This should be very informative for us.