Old 27-05-2009, 03:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
[email protected] kate@notme.com is offline

Default Dr. Schwarcz replies

On Tue, 26 May 2009 17:53:49 -0700, Steve wrote:

On Tue, 26 May 2009 16:14:23 -0700, Billy
wrote:

So the good doctor responds.
----

Subject: Organic
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 16:58:24 -0400
From: "Joe Schwarcz, Dr."
To: "Bill Rose"

The email is indeed from me. I have attached a few pieces I have
written on organic agriculture which obviously express my views.

Stunning.
I expected push back, but the profound dismissal, the outright
disdain, of organic is remarkable even for one funded by the chemical
industry. The disinformation, (for example ignoring the advancement in
organic agriculture and instead suggesting that it's 100 years behind)
is truly amazing. Obviously he has never heard of a little company
named Earthbound.
In one article he states that organic foods are only "marginally" more
nutritious, in the next article he sites a 40% gain in antioxidants.
"Pesticides and nitrates from fertilizer enter ground water with
potential environmental and health consequences". Potential?!
Doesn't McGill have internet service? Hasn't he ever looked at the
Gulf of Mexico from above? Amazing.
I think he's "marginally" pro-agrochemical.

I probably shouldn't but I can't resist. I'm responding to your post,
Steve, but this is more for Mr. Rose.

I read some of Dr. S's response. He's got some valid points, imo.
Organic is expensive, if you aren't growing your own. I'm organic as I
think I can be, with the financial situation I have at this point.
Organic manure, compost etc cost more than non-organic. Free range
organic eggs cost over $4 a dozen where I live. I've been a vegetarian
for 40 years (lol - damn - 40 years) and it's not as easy and it costs
more, ime, to dine out, to live organically. To purchase the food that
meets my morals, as it were. Whatever - my choice.

I used to make donations to PETA. I don't anymore. While I imagine
there's a need for extremists, I wish there wasn't. I don't benefit
from from being haraunged (pretty sure that's spelled wrong - sorry)
and I hope that most people, gardeners especially can learn and evolve
with kindness and good intentions, not by being badgered.

Mother Teresa said something to the effect of - Don't invite me to an
anti-war rally. Invite me to a peace rally.

IMO, in your zeal, Mr. Rose, you are turning more people away from the
very thing you want. You can't force people to see what you see - you
can be a wonderful example. When you send out negative energy, more
than just one person is affected.

Organic gardening, to me, is treating the earth and its inhabitants as
I want to be treated. I won't curse the rabbits that are eating my
zinnia seedlings. I will cut away the insect damage from the comfrey
leaves I needed today for a dog with healing stitches. It's been
awfully damp this Spring and many plants are showing the same damage.

Ah, but the blooms. And yes, I forgot the parlsey. I have in my
scrambled egg most days. I need to learn how to make tabouli - I've
got a thick 10 ft row of parsley. What a blessing, huh?

I suspect we gardeners have a lot in common. Do we really want to pick
this newsgroup to engage in negativity? Make love not war?

Billy, you can sell your Stinging Nettle. I pay maybe $10 a lb? I
really have no idea but it's probably no more than $20 a lb . It's
good for the kidneys and incredibly nutritive. I give it to my elderly
dog in tea form and add it to my tea as well.

Please consider, you wonderful organic proponents, to make our cause a
noble one, a wonderful and joyous one.

My beer can is empty. I have finished my enhanced post. Good night and
good gardening to you all.

Kate