Old 15-04-2003, 12:32 AM
John Rutz

Default potting soil

Bonnie Espenshade wrote:
Lee Brouillet wrote:

Hmmm, I thought it was the other way around: plant in the well-rinsed
plain
ol' kitty litter, then cover with the clay! Oh well, someone who does it
that way will probably chime in . . . I need to know myself, pretty soon.

Lee

"jammer" wrote in message

On Sun, 13 Apr 2003 19:58:38 -0400, "Priscilla McCullough"
wrote:

I bought some potting soil today to plant some of my lilies in. They
were
out of the dirt I normally buy to do this.
I got to thinking though if there is anything in the potting soil that

might

harm the fish.
The only thing I see is that it has peat in it. Do you think this could

harm

the fish by making the water to acidic?
Priss

Do you have the annoying clay type dirt in your yard? That is what i
read lillies prefer. Then cover with well rinsed kitty litter or a
similiar medium.

Plain kitty litter is clay. My koi had a wonderful time digging in it
even with a layer of 1" stones on top. I then added larger stones and
they still dug in the kitty litter.
I quit using the kitty litter and soon dug a pond just for the koi with
no plants.

--
i did clay then kitty liter then kity liter w rocks and now just
rocks. the big problem with just rock is fertilizing

discaimer all my lilly's are in the Koi pond

John Rutz

the green is grassing the leaves are treeing
I'm happy

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com