Old 27-05-2009, 12:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Victoria Heisner Victoria Heisner is offline

Default Planting potatoes

Hi;
About a month ago, or so, I planted a bunch of seed potatoes that I had
gotten from Johnny's and Burpee. When I planted them, I simply took them
out of the fridge, and planted them whole. After all this time, nothing
has shown up above ground, so I dug one up, and found that it looked
exactly the way it did when I planted it. If I had peeled it, I could have
made mashed potatoes, or fried potatoes.

Is there anything I should have done to the seed potato before planting it?
They were small enough, and this is my first try, so I didn't cut any eyes.

The varieties are Red Gold, Yukon Gold, and Kennebec. My soil is clay, and
I rototilled, and added (so far) 1" of composted manure (Moo Doo), and some
Complete Organic Fertilizer (cottonseed meal, lime, kelp meal, rock
phosphate). Also, I live in Zone 5, Central-Southern Vermont. This is my
first garden.

Thanks,
Vicki