Old 24-02-2003, 03:03 PM
madgardener

Default Hellebores

you can get them at Park Seed company, Bluestone Perennials, Wayside Gardens
or White Flower Farm (these are priced decent) I wouldn't grow them from
seed, although you can. I don't see the seed available in Thompson and
Morgan and they have seeds for EVERYTHING. I would bet it's 3 years to
flowering size plant. I got mine from Park seed thru the mail, and have
noticed Bluestone has them for $8.90 each. Wayside and White Flower are
higher in price but you'd get larger roots of more diversified colors. Dark
burgandy's, white's with speckles, deep purple almost "black". If you
really want to go Hellebore's crazy, there's the Heronswood's nursery
catalog. No pictures, but oh my lord.........the selection!! And their
plants are quality too. I am saving up to get two from them (they have so
much..............................)
madgardener whose Hellebores are starting to push colored nose buds from the
base of the mother stalks of leaves thru the wet leaves...................
"Betsy" -0 wrote in message
I've been fascinated by these plants, and now that y'all are discussing

them
I remember yet again that I'd like to have some.

How are they grown/started? Can they be started from seed?

When are they planted out?

What happens when it snows like this--do they wait to bloom until the snow
is melted or do they just miss a year? Sounds silly, doesn't it, but I'm
mystified by a plant that blooms basically in the winter!