Old 28-05-2009, 12:38 AM posted to rec.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Pinching back tomato plants

"BD" wrote in message

A friend recently told me that she pinches back her tomatoes for maximum
production. Does anyone else do this? I'm not sure exactly what to pinch,
just extraneous branches?

Traditional wisdom is to pinch out the axils. I'm yet to be convinced that
it makes a great deal of difference to the no. of tomatoes produced - it may
or it may not but I guess it does no great harm to do it.

Just in case you don't know what an axil is (and forgive me if I'm teaching
grandma how to suck eggs) an axil is the growth that appears between the
main stem and the leaflets. It first appears as a small set of leaves, but
as it grows it looks more branch like.