Old 28-05-2009, 01:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Lilah Morgan[_2_] Lilah Morgan[_2_] is offline

Default Planting potatoes

I'd suggest just giving them time, I'm another zone 5 Victoria, and the red
potatoes I planted in a *huge* pile of leaves took a while to sprout, to the
point I thought maybe they weren't going to do anything, but now they're
coming up in like 7 different locations, and one clump looks like there's
gonna be a nice haul from them. And I'm gonna plant Yukon Golds
tomorrow(they're my mother's favorite), and got some russets today to plant
as well. We also have All Blue potatoes doing nicely. I love homemade potato
chips :-)

"Victoria Heisner" wrote in message
Hi;
About a month ago, or so, I planted a bunch of seed potatoes that I had
gotten from Johnny's and Burpee. When I planted them, I simply took them
out of the fridge, and planted them whole. After all this time, nothing
has shown up above ground, so I dug one up, and found that it looked
exactly the way it did when I planted it. If I had peeled it, I could have
made mashed potatoes, or fried potatoes.

Is there anything I should have done to the seed potato before planting

it?
They were small enough, and this is my first try, so I didn't cut any

eyes.

The varieties are Red Gold, Yukon Gold, and Kennebec. My soil is clay,

and
I rototilled, and added (so far) 1" of composted manure (Moo Doo), and

some
Complete Organic Fertilizer (cottonseed meal, lime, kelp meal, rock
phosphate). Also, I live in Zone 5, Central-Southern Vermont. This is my
first garden.

Thanks,
Vicki