Old 28-05-2009, 03:41 AM posted to rec.gardens
SteveB[_11_] SteveB[_11_] is offline

Default Pinching back tomato plants

"BD" wrote in message
A friend recently told me that she pinches back her tomatoes for maximum
production. Does anyone else do this? I'm not sure exactly what to pinch,
just extraneous branches?

Yes, no, maybe, and it depends.

Mostly on where you live, and the type of tomato. Some varieties do better
when pinched back to one or two main stalks, then tied to a trellis,
maximizing output, and keeping the number of fruit lower so they all mature
before winter. There are some varieties that are bush types, and others
that do nicely on the ground. Check with local nurseries or university and
state co-ops for help for YOUR area. Your question is like, "How is the
weather going to be tomorrow." Well, where I am, the forecast is for warm
and clear. But where you live, it may be entirely different.

I suggest you read the article, and probably the types of tomatos you grow
will be mentioned as to the best method.

Steve