Old 29-05-2009, 04:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default fire pits on your patio and newspaper paper compressors

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 27 May 2009 23:37:34 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 25 May 2009 23:22:28 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
m...
On Mon, 25 May 2009 20:20:05 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
newsdlk155736dep90kqv940bj40gkgp82fej@4ax. com...
On Mon, 25 May 2009 00:54:29 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

to dry it out for weeks. UK probably

Maybe we need better weather, then we can.

Unless the relative humidity where you live is permanently 100% the
paper
will
dry if the place you put the paper is well ventilated.
--

Yes, I know that.. thanks..
My experience has been that the paper logs takes months to dry out but are

Our boat got very wet inside during the winter. Come spring it was bone
dry in 3
weeks.

I don't doubt it. Very compressed wet blocks of newspaper take longer.
Obviously they need to be completely dry to burn as fuel.
You might have to trust me on this ;-) I've made a lot of them over many
years.
If we had baking hot summers, yes. But we don't - at least not where I
live, it rains a lot which ups the humidity.
The ideal situation for drying out these paper logs would be a greenhouse in
full sun with two sides taken out so the wind could blow through. On
chicken wire racks it would probably do them in a month.
They are very good fuel *if* you can dry them out in a reasonable time,
otherwise all your log-drying-out space is taken up for too long.

I could easily burn 20 a day in my woodburner and if it takes me all year to
dry 100..then I have 5 days worth of fuel.
It's a good idea to make fuel from waste newspaper, but if Tesco is selling
the log-maker with the fire-pit so people think they will have instant free
fuel to use with it then a lot of people are going to be disappointed.