Old 29-05-2009, 09:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
Billy[_7_] Billy[_7_] is offline

Default germination and seedlings

In article ,
"Bowtie" bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet wrote:

"Steve Young" bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet wrote

"Billy" wrote

I was wondering if anyone else had the same observation as I have.
I use a soil that is specifically for germination (high sphagnum
moss content I think) and it seems to do a good job of germination
but then the seedlings seem to lack vigor. When I transplant the
seedlings into larger vessels with "regular" potting mix, the
plants suddenly become vigorous.

Anyone else have this experience?

Exactly!

The starter I used, Magik-Moss Seed Starter is excellent, as far as
composition, water retention and working form, but it seemingly has the
nutritional value of shredded plastic. Next year I'll mix a couple of cups
of alfalfa meal and a little bone meal with each bucket. That should green
things up, as compared to the pale starts I was constantly chasing with
nitrogen this year.

Billy, here's what I did this year and the results were incredible. I used
the same starter, as I liked it very well. To approximately 6 quarts of it I
added 1 quart of my homemade compost, 1 pint of alfalfa meal, 1 cup of bone
meal and 1/3 cup of green sand.

I potted up the flats and planted. Starting from the first watering I used
1 well rounded tablespoon of Soluble Root Growth Enhancer per gallon of
water. http://www.biconet.com/soil/rootGrowth.html I watered with this
mixture 3 - 4 times through the 6 weeks they were under lights. When I
took them outside to take in sunlight and harden off, I gave them a couple
of waterings with fish emulsion at about half the label recommendation.

These plants were twice the size of anything I have ever started, and
healthy, oh my. The amazing thing is how nice the roots looked when I
planted them. Though I used 3 inch square containers for the tomatoes and
smaller for peppers, etc. none were root bound, as I would of expected for
plants as large as they were.

I'll give it a try. Thanks.
--

- Billy