Old 29-05-2009, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_2_] Spider[_2_] is offline

Default Somewhat OT .. Butterflies

On 2009-05-29 22:31:38 +0100, "Spider" said:

In message , Spider
writes
Whilst pruning my pyracantha hedge these past few days, I have been
surrounded by clouds of butterflies, mainly Painted Ladies, plus many
bees
and hoverflies. This has brought up a query amongst my neighbours,
which
have been unable to answer. So, please, does anyone know what is the
collective noun for butterflies?

TIA.
Spider

Google finds swarm (which I would restrict to only some aggregations of
butterflies) and rabble (which is new to me). Perhaps cloud would also
qualify.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Thank you Mike and Stewart. Swarm seems to be favourite. In case
you're
interested (and even if you're not :~)), my neighbours were suggesting a
'luxury' of butterflies and a 'concord' of butterflies. A 'beguilement'
of
butterflies would be my suggestion: I love an alitteration (and many
collective nouns are alitterations) and I was certainly beguiled.
However,
a swarm will do. I'll pass it on.

Spider

I'd go for a 'flutter' of butterflies myself - or perhaps a 'frivol'. ;-)
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon

'Flutter' is good. They were definitely doing that.

Spider