Old 30-05-2009, 02:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
gonzo gonzo is offline

Default purely newbie question

Keep in mind you'll be getting weeds in your walkways unless you do
something that has good coverage; so gravel might work but I would
recommend a landscape fabric underlayment! Wood chips - use 2x the
amount you think you need, no underlayment unless you use cardboard.

You could also use ANNUAL ryegrass; the stuff winter-kills, and
(presumably) crowds out the weed population (a technique that has
never worked for me but is recommended by others with more experience
than I !). Google green manure and setlle back for some lengthy
discussions (it works for the walkways too).

Good luck with your season!