Old 30-05-2009, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sally Thompson[_3_] Sally Thompson[_3_] is offline

Default Pyramid orchids

On Fri, 29 May 2009 23:41:17 +0100, K wrote
(in article ):

{Sally wrote}

As some of you will know, we manage most of our large garden as a
wildflower
meadow/wildlife friendly environment, which means among other things that
we
only cut the grass twice a year, and we spread some hay bales from a
wildflower-rich meadow in autumn. Imagine our delight then to find some
pyramid orchids growing there for the first time! No bad for land which
was
the spoil tip from a brick yard when we bought it!
Just thought I would share our pleasure.

You must be absolutely delighted!

Some orchids do well on basically ex-industrial land. The last pyramidal
orchid I saw was on top of a Hoffman kiln, and the brick walls of the
kiln had a thriving colony of bee orchids.

That's interesting Kay since this particular part of the garden has the
poorest soil - it took years for it to even green up a little. It must
thrive on that kind of soil.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Posted through uk.rec.gardening