Old 30-05-2009, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
robert robert is offline

Default Pyramid orchids

In message et, Sally
Thompson writes
As some of you will know, we manage most of our large garden as a wildflower
meadow/wildlife friendly environment, which means among other things that we
only cut the grass twice a year, and we spread some hay bales from a
wildflower-rich meadow in autumn. Imagine our delight then to find some
pyramid orchids growing there for the first time! No bad for land which was
the spoil tip from a brick yard when we bought it!

Just thought I would share our pleasure.

It really is wonderful when a wild orchid appears in a garden - ours
appeared in a lawn when I neglect it. We haven't had any new ones
appear for the last couple of years but the common spotted is going to
look good - it has four flowers about to display. We do have a
pyramidal but at the moment there is just foliage and no sign of a
flower.
--
Robert