Old 31-05-2009, 03:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
gunner gunner is offline

Default Catapillars on Apple and Pear Trees

"Soria Spain" wrote in message

Hi
I live in a small village in Soria, Northern Spain and recently
inherited an old allotment/orchard with some old apple and pear trees
(est 50 years old). I noticed last year that catapillars had been
eating the leaves and they are doing the same this year. I dont want
to spray chemicals on them and dont even know if I want to remove them.
My question is: will they effect the fruits growth? If so what is the
best non chemical way to remove them, if I must.

--
Soria Spain

try using a Bacillus thuringiensis ( Bt) or dusting with Diatomaceous
earth according to directions. Organics and neither will affect your fruit,
although the Bt is oft used in making some GM crops.