Old 31-05-2009, 07:48 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden
Master Tang Master Tang is offline

Default Identify lawn weeds

"Tony Sivori" wrote in message
news
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

On Sun, 31 May 2009 12:55:14 -0400, Tony Sivori
wrote:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

Oxalis

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

Looks like Purslane from here. In my book, they aren't weeds,
they're
salad greens. The oxalis is a biting little thing that brightens up a
salad - especially if you're Irish.

The purslane is good raw or cooked. When cooked it acts like okra and
adds that gooey texture.

Search for purslane recipe and you'll find hundreds of ways to eat this
one.

Jim
[and have your soil tested and balance the nutrients and you'll probably
get rid of both as they like 'poor' soil]

Thank you. After a Google I know what herbicides are most likely to work
on them. Looks like the Oxalis (a.k.a. Wood Sorrel) might be the most
difficult of the two.

--
Tony Sivori

I get something like the 2nd one in my backyard garden. Very easy to pull
up. Why use poisons?

Clover is very easy to just pull up too. If it's in your lawn just weed it,
let the yard take over. Just use common sense.

Instead of herbicides, use compost and feed your lawn so the weeds don't
have any place to grow.

mt